Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Goodbye . . .

This summer is flying by faster than ever before, a frenzy of plans and events, not quite enough cuddle time with the Snuggler, and NO time for strawberry picking.

What a sad day it was that I realized I would not be stocking our freezer with berries to last thru the long winter. Even when I was ginormously pregnant last summer, I picked five gallon bags worth of strawberries for the freezer, and enough besides to make a pie and eat them for days.

Not so this year. How time flies with an almost-one year old, between laundry, meals, cleaning, playtime, working a night a week, and my current dining room redo.

And now, last summer's berries have run out. I made John a strawberry-blueberry pie for his birthday, and emptied every last berry from the freezer. At least it was a pie to remember! Flakey crust, berries oozing out, cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, and just warm enough to get the vanilla ice cream a little melty. Perhaps my best pie ever!

So with a sigh, I say goodbye to strawberry muffins in January, cobbler in February, and waffles with strawberry syrup in March. At least blueberry season is still going strong, so there is still hope for blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup on Christmas morning.

IMG_3794

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...