Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Oh, Crappy Day

Today I got crapped on. Not just as in "it's been a rough day," but I also literally got pooped on. Guess it's not much of a stretch to imagine that happening, as I do have a seven-week old baby. Of course, it was my two year old who pooped on me.

My day officially started at 6:30, when I first heard Sophia wake up. Thankfully, John went in and turned on her light and got her playing, as Jude was asleep in bed with me following his most recent feeding. Then John headed off to work, and we were on our own.

I probably should have had an inkling of the day's direction when Jude spat up on me as soon as I put him on me in the Moby wrap for his morning nap. Why in the Moby instead of in his crib? Because Jude, aka "The Cuddler," refuses to sleep in his crib during the daylight hours. He did take a nice two hour nap this morning, with me bouncing and dancing around to make sure he slept. (Because heaven forbid I hold still while he tries to sleep! No, we must always be in motion. In fact, I am typing this with the computer on the kitchen counter while I bounce around with Jude in the Moby. Many typos to be corrected!)

Post-morning nap we headed out for a walk. My idea was to walk around the block, so I put Jude in the jogging stroller and off we went. Sophia was enjoying our walk so much that she suggested going to the park. I figured she was doing well walking and was in good spirits, so why not?

The walk back is why not.

Two-year old walking + baby in jogger + ginormous hill = not fun.

The walk home is just over a quarter mile, but watching Sophia you would have thought I was trying to make her run a marathon. Just around the corner from our house I finally tired of cajoling/dragging her along and popped her in the (one person) stroller with Jude. I lay it down all the way, threw her in the back, and propped Jude up on Sophia. Neither of them was particularly happy with the arrangement, so I dashed up the hill to our house.

End of walk. Phew!

Lunchtime went okay . . . Sophia sat in the kitchen eating her mac'n'cheese and hollering editorials to me in the living room, where I was feeding Jude. After eating Jude seemed particularly drowsy, so I bounced him for a few minutes until he fell asleep. I like to at least attempt a nap in the crib every few days to see if he is ready to transition, so up to bed we went. A sound-asleep Jude was laid in his crib, and a hopeful mama tiptoed out of the room after turning on the baby monitor.

Sophia was STILL eating the same bowl of mac'n'cheese (40 minute lunch, anyone?) when I got back down to the kitchen. As I was telling her she had two minutes to finish up before bed, a little cry came thru the monitor. "Jude cyin' mama!"

Yes, he is.

Time to put the Moby back on, Sophia into bed, Jude into Moby. And time to watch Project Runway. (Difficult to do anything terribly productive while bouncing the Cuddler . . .)

At least even if Jude is on me, I can rejuvenate while Sophia takes a nice long nap. I ate a yummy lunch while bouncing on the exercise ball and trying to figure out just who Heidi was going to kick off this week ("Get rid of Bert!!!").

Or I could if she had taken more than an hour long nap.

Just as I finished my last bite, I heard an earsplitting scream from upstairs, followed by sobs.

Blast.

Ordinarily I would leave Sophia in her room for the duration of a normal nap, but the sobs were soon followed by gagging noises.

Double blast.

I would rather have Sophia up early (though 1:30 is REALLY pushing it!) and on the slipcovered couch if vomiting is part of the equation, rather than in her bed with lots of blankets and stuffed animals.

Of course when I got up there it became apparent that the gagging was self-inflicted. Which is awesome in itself, but at least no sick kiddo. Time to watch Blue's Clues while Mommy regroups.

And time to feed Jude again as he woke up in the Moby when he heard his sister screaming . . . which is what he was now doing.

Jude finished eating and started into his afternoon crankies. The usual cure is, you guessed it, the Moby! I wrapped it back around me and put Jude in. He was just starting to chill when I smelled something horrid. And saw a visible lump on Sophia's backside.

Changing Sophia's diaper while Jude is in the Moby is complicated. Sophia lies on the couch while I sit next to her on the exercise ball, bouncing. A little bit tricky for a wet diaper, a lot tricky for a poopy diaper.

I got the diaper off her and was just starting to wipe her bum when it happened. Somehow I jostled the yucky diaper, and her poop rolled out, hitting the couch, my capris, my calf, and finally the floor.

I'm pretty sure that has to be rock bottom for today . . . me bouncing crying Jude on the ball (with him in the wrap) while holding Sophia's legs up so her poopy bum doesn't hit the couch while trying to get her poop back into the diaper while cleaning all the surfaces that said poop hit while Sophia asks me "What doing, mama?"

What doing, indeed.

I'll tell you "what doing." Taking a LONG bubble bath tonight, with a bottle of sparkling cider at my side (no cup required), and chocolate and a book in hand.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hang in there, Mama. I have lived those days myself. Sometimes you just cry a little and get on with your day! I am praying for you. It WILL get easier, it WILL get easier, it WILL get easier... :)

Love and hugs!

Earlybirdmom said...

I hope your well deserved bath/cider time worked out! You are an amazing mom!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...