Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Playdough

Sophia is super ADD when it comes to activities. She moves from one puzzle to another to blocks to books to magnets all in the space of two minutes. "I want to color" precipitates a 3-minute coloring session after getting out multiple coloring books and all of her crayons and colored pencils.

But wait!



IMG_5765



Today I decided to attempt to ward off the Snuggler's post-nap doldrums by making a batch of playdough for her to play with. And finally! Today we have discovered an activity that can occupy my daughter for longer than two minutes. Homemade playdough! I hesitated to let her play with playdough before, as she finds it necessary to put everything in her mouth. But homemade playdough is very salty, so how much would she really eat? Plus, she is getting much better at obeying my "Don't eat that!!!" orders.



IMG_5766



Now there has been over an hour straight of playdough fun in the Libby house, and I see no sign of it ending anytime soon. Sophia has made multiple birthday cakes (and sung Happy Birthday to Jude and me many times), cut up "apples" and put the slices in a bowl, "eaten" food off of chopsticks (good pretending, Sophia!), pressed her face into it to see her nose imprint, and cut out a billion stars, flowers, and circles with her cookie cutters. Oh, and she made boogers and put them in her nose. Pretty sure that was my favorite. And she has played for over an hour! During peak post-nap crabby time!



IMG_5780



This does not happen, people. So I am going to share the recipe with you, in order that you too can have an hour of happy playtime. This is the top-secret Munsell recipe I am giving you here. (Which I think my mom got from a friend, so much for the "top-secret Munsell" part.) Use it wisely and well!



IMG_5772



Playdough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon oil
food color
wax or parchment paper

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the oil and water. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until dough starts to pull away from pan wall. Turn out onto paper and knead in color, several drops at a time. (Sophia's is pink at her request, of course.) Store in an airtight container, it will keep for a LONG time!



IMG_5774

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...