Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

DD

In my house, the letters "DD" don't stand for Dunkin Donuts or any kind of bra size.

What "DD" actually stands for is "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food." Jerry Seinfeld's wife Jessica wrote it after trying to get their kids to eat nutritious food with not a lot of success. Nowadays, "DD" followed by a page number is listed very frequently on my week's dinner menu. For instance: Chicken nuggets with mashed potatoes and a veggie (DD pages 75 & 80).

The premise is that you can add puree'd veggies to just about anything, and then not have to coerce your kids to eat said veggies on the side. Instead, they just gobble down whatever it is (mac and cheese, etc) and are non-the-wiser that you have tricked them into eating something that is good for them.

Now, John doesn't need to be tricked into eating healthy foods, and Sophia isn't quite old enough to require tricking, so I am just practicing for when that day comes. I have decided that a couple things would make cooking with DD a bit more practical, so by the time I really need to hide food, we'll have a nice big freezer in our basement, and a nice big food processor in the kitchen. My little food processor does the trick for Sophia's baby food, but not so much for big people food!

Jessica suggests making a batch of purees once a week, but I am thinking that is going to wait for the someday when I have a bigger freezer. For now I will be happy with making as I go along. For example, the mashed potatoes that were on my menu? I made them last week, and John was very surprised that they were half potatoes and half cauliflower. Really, DD says to add 1/2 cup cauliflower puree to 1 pound potatoes, but I went for it and boiled half and half right in the same pot. Didn't have to make puree, and had even more veggies in the potatoes. And, John really liked them!

Hmm. As I write this, I can hear the ice cream truck driving by for the first time this spring. Think DD can help healthy up one of those treats? I guess that is a situation where spinach puree really wouldn't fly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...