Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

The new job

June has been a busy month in the Libby house, as is evidenced by my lack of posts. With laundry in the wash, the kid in bed, a big batch of baby food put up in the freezer, and my latest sewing project almost done, it's time to pause the house stuff and write.

Back in January, when I started this blog, I mentioned my burnt-outedness in my very first post. And I am still tired of some parts of being a nurse, but when I weigh the pros and cons, it is worth it to me to go back to work on a very part time basis. If I work just one night a week, we can get rid of John's PT school loans years earlier than planned. I can nap when Sophia naps, and now she sleeps thru the night, so no need for John to get up with her when I am gone.

Also important in the decision to go back is that I really do love being a part of the disaster-relief team I belong to, and having gone thru all the effort to get on the team don't want to give it up, so need to keep my skills fresh.

Having thought all that thru, a couple months ago I started snooping around online to see who was hiring. Not so much. Especially not in what I think would be really fun, labor and delivery and postpartum. Eventually I did see that St. Mary's in Lewiston was hiring in the ICU.

Applied, went in for an interview, got the job. I am required to work four shifts in three months, including one weekend shift. No problem! So if I ever have a crazy month (or another kid!) I'm not locked into one shift a week.

I finished most of my hospital orientation stuff a couple weeks ago, and this past Monday and Thursday oriented to the unit. I have one more shift with another nurse on Tuesday night, then I'm DONE with orientation.

So now I have gotten two paychecks, and 100% went straight to school loans. And how gratifying to see the numbers going down!

At some point, I am hoping to orient to both postpartum and the ER. We discussed both in interviews, and I think it would be fun to mix it up. We shall see! At this point I am content to be back in the ICU. St. Mary's will certainly be different from working at MMC, but I think that is not necessarily a bad thing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...