Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A (new) art wall

Some of you may remember the photo wall we had up in our living room back in the days of purple . . .







Since then we've added a kid, changed the paint color, and rearranged a few . . . ok, a bunch . . . of times.  And because I've never really loved any arrangement, I've hesitated to put much art up on the walls.  But lo and behold, I have finally hit on a living room arrangement that I think is going to stick, and the art wall is back!

I say "art wall" because I decided that what I really wanted to do was work in some favorite pieces that actually aren't photographs, along with some family photos.  Items that have significance to our family, like the amazing drawing our niece made me for Christmas 2010 that finally has a home!  More on that piece later, but here's how today's start to the art wall went . . .







And a few hours later . . .







In case you were wondering, NO, it's not finished.  Far from it.  But I decided to go about it a little differently this time.  I chose things to hang partly by size, deciding that I would then find just the right picture for each frame afterward.  I wanted a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, and have special plans for the three frames that are all glass . . .







For now the picture wall is hanging out with sideways pictures,







VERY dirty frames/glass,







and some pretty giant holes in the wall!  Anyone who knows my picture hanging process knows that no matter how much I test things out with paper mock-ups taped up, I still end up with about triple the holes that are actually necessary.  The holes here are from the huge mirror that I most recently had hanging in this spot.  There are three more behind the art on the right!  Yup, it took three tries to get that mirror to its happy place.

Hopefully it won't take three tries per pic to get this wall right, but you never know.  Stay tuned for the evolution of the "art wall!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...