Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zucchini

I have been pleasantly overrun with zucchini.  "Pleasantly" because all four of the Libbys LOVE zucchini bread.  Today it was finally time to use up my supply (mainly to make room for more!), so now I can smell the lovely aroma of six loaves of zucchini bread baking in the oven.  One loaf for my sister (she loaned me loaf pans as I only have three), one loaf to eat just out of the oven with lots of butter, and four loaves for my freezer down in the basement.

Have I ever said how much I love having another freezer?  Because I really really really do.  Especially now, as I have berries from the summer stashed in it, and this bread about to be stashed!  We'll bring out a loaf at a time, toast slices, and top with butter or cream cheese or peanut butter . . . or even better, some amazing homemade cinnamon sugar butter!



IMG_7645



Enough already.  The bread is out, time to give you my recipe, adapted from the classic Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.  My version is WAY healthier, with no oil and half the sugar, but just as delicious.  So then you can load it up with yummy toppings and not feel guilty at all!  Or maybe that's like buying low calorie cookies and eating the whole box . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 beaten egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded zucchini (peel left on)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients (yes, sugar is a "wet" ingredient).  Combine, stirring just until moistened.  Fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (toasted) if your daughter is not deathly allergic.  Bake at 350F for 50-55 min, until golden brown and knife comes out clean.  EAT!



IMG_7648



Maybe you want the butter recipe, too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Munsell Cinnamon Sugar Butter

1 stick butter
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Whip at high speed in a mixer.  Store in airtight container in the fridge.  Can be used on pancakes, toast, waffles, and whatever else you should think up.



IMG_7651

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...