Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Our house

I love our house. Though there are a few downsides to where we live, there are so many wonderful reasons to be happy with it. Here goes:

1. Close to family. Now when we want to visit family, we can walk around the corner to visit my sister and her fam, drive 6 miles to John's parents, or drive 10 miles to my parents. Sure beats an hour each way for the holidays!

2. The upgrade from 500 square feet to just over 1400. Lack of furniture was a great "problem" to have when we moved in last spring!

3. Getting to decorate! This is especially great for me; living in our white walled apartment was getting really old. Now we live in a purple/blue/gray/yellow/cream walled house! More colors to come, as I am so not into the whole white walled thing. Next up on the painting menu: green dining room.

4. Location, location, location. Of course, this one is a blessing and a curse, but it is so nice to live just a couple miles from Wal-Mart, the library, our bank, and of course the Home Depot.

5. Sidewalks to run on. Sophia and I have been getting out for runs regularly now that it is spring, and it's great to run without worrying that I'm going to get her killed because we can run on the sidewalk. Something I never thought about before having a kid.

6. I can see the stars! Never could see the stars very well when I lived in Portland or South Portland. I was walking outside tonight and when I looked up there was the Big Dipper! Of course, that and the Little Dipper are the extent of my constellation knowledge.

7. Storage. As faithful followers of my blog may know, I did a basement makeover at the start of the year. How nice to have a basement to makeover! When we lived in South Portland our upstairs neighbors let us store stuff in their attic area (Thanks, N & B!), but having it in your own basement is so much nicer.

8. We have our own little yard. It may be only a quarter of an acre, but I'm sure it will be fun to take Sophia out there this summer for playtime.

9. My favorite reason (today): my craft area! All of my craft supplies (from sewing/quilting to paper goods, beading, etc) have all been stored away for literally years, but as of today I have my own craft area. Our den is off-limits to kids, and is our office/music room at one end, and my craft room at the other end. With the addition of some new free furniture, I finally got it (mostly) organized, and can't wait to start my next project.


Why do you love your place, be it apartment, house, whatever?

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love having a good-sized lot. We have 2.7 acres (it can be a pain to maintain, but this is a happy posting, right?).

I love my kitchen. Lots of counter space, lots of cupboards.

Oh, how I love having my own washer and dryer. We were lucky enough to have these in our apartments as well, but I still remember the pain in the tail that it was to go to the laundromat!

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...