Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A new way to cook

I have to say, often my least favorite time of the day is that window from 3-5 when a grumpy kiddo wakes up and tortures me with crabbiness while I attempt to prepare dinner. It usually ends in frustration on both sides, with the Snuggler crying and clinging to my leg. That then leads to more crying when she falls over as I attempt to move . . . all in all, an ugly scene.

Recently, I have been trying to think of ways to address that window of time in a more productive way that wouldn't end so badly. Pack'n'play time has helped, and Blue's Clues, I have to admit. But I still have wanted to figure out how to interact with Sophia, rather than push her out of the picture.

Enter the kitchen chair! I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, except that I didn't pray out my frustration as soon as I might have.

Now Sophia is my little helper, and we don't have any more battles. We push the chair up against the counter and she stands there and watches me cook or wash dishes. I tell her everything I am doing, and she helps hold ingredients. (Often eating them while she holds them; I have to allot extra carrots/apples/cheese, etc when she "helps!") She is very inquisitive, and loves to stir, or add an ingredient to a bowl. I had thought she was too young to cook with me, but she loves to prove me wrong!


IMG_1551


IMG_1546


IMG_1540


IMG_1539

2 comments:

Joanna Spotts said...

I was just reading about this in a magazine!

Kristin said...

Oh, she is so cute, "helping"! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...