Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Quiche

As some of you know, I had to return a borrowed food processor in October, and have been making do with a Walmart brand magic bullet ever since.  Not a happy situation!  I know, it's a first world problem, what's wrong with chopping things up with a knife?  Nothing, in fact we recently upgraded our knife set.  We had been using a super crappy set that John had from his bachelor days, and now we have a moderately less crappy set that are hand-me-downs from someone who got a new set as a gift.  I even have steak knives!

Unbeknownst to me, however, my gripes on facebook were heard, and I received a brand spankin' new food processor for Christmas!  My new Kitchenaid processor even has a slicer and shredder disc, which my borrowed one did not have.

My griping has ended, and celebratory cooking has commenced!  I have been slicing, dicing, mixing, and pureeing . . . any excuse not to pull out my cutting board.  My processor can slice up four carrots in 10 seconds or less, about a million times faster than I can by hand.

Today I made quiche for dinner.  And I did 100% of it with my processor!  So here you go, the recipe for Libby Food Processor Quiche.

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In processor: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 stick butter, pinch salt.  Pulse to mix.  Pulse to add 1/2 cup milk.  Roll out and put crust in 9 inch pie plate.

Now here's the secret ingredient from the Munsell cookbook: mustard.  I prefer to use dijon or honey mustard.  You squirt it directly onto the bottom of the crust before adding the other ingredients.  A couple teaspoons is good, and you just smear it around until it is spread out.

After that it's time to get chopping!  I like to put my ingredients in layers . . . and usually do a veggie quiche with cheese, but today we had some ham in the freezer from Christmas.  So in went a layer of broccoli, then ham, mushrooms, and topped off with cheddar cheese.  All that chopping took no time at all!  Other possible ingredients that I have used are fresh or frozen spinach, feta, tomatoes, zucchini or summer squash . . . or whatever else you happen to have in your fridge.

Next up, the eggy bit.  Six eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk a pinch of salt and a little pepper.  Zap it in the processor and pour over the top.  Into the oven for 45 minutes or so, until golden brown and not jiggly. I'd have a picture to show you if I hadn't been going to take a nap and overcooked ours today!  Fortunately, not too overcooked to eat, just too done to show off.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...