Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Crafting with the Snuggler

As much as I love to sew and craft, I am not a big fan of crafting with a toddler.  Any ideas I come up with usually end up being too difficult for Sophia to help with, so I end up doing it all while she watches.  I have looked for ideas online, but figure if it requires more than two or three steps and more "ingredients" than I can keep track of on one hand, that's not the craft for us.

We were at the library a couple weeks ago when I asked the librarian to show me to the kid's craft section, on a whim.  And I'll tell you, we hit the jackpot.

"Create with Maisy: A Maisy First Arts-and-Crafts Book," by Lucy Cousins.

Fan-freaking-tastic!!!

Even if you aren't a crafter, you will already have most of the bits and pieces that you need to do these crafts.  Sophia loves to look thru and pick what to make.  She has made a crown, a butterfly out of beads and pipe-cleaners, a garden picture using beans and pasta, and now a tree picture with tissue paper.

Today's tree picture was a big hit as part of "school."  ("T" is for "tree.")  Sophia and her little friend each made one, and despite the fact that they each had their own dish of glue to use, there was minimal clean up afterward.  I'm a fan of tidy crafting!  I'm not opposed to making a mess, but I can get on board with daily toddler crafting when it doesn't take an hour to clean up.



IMG_8495

I had to make Sophia put on the feather boa . . . enough naked toddler pics already!!!


IMG_8489



IMG_8576




IMG_8582



IMG_8586

Ha! Sophia was a little stressed by the end of crafting today . . . she hasn't come to grips with getting glue on her fingers yet. She specially requested that I take a picture of said gluey fingers . . . think she might be making a mountain out of a molehill.





So, not much clean up, not too many parts to each craft, minimal adult help needed (which might be Sophia's favorite part), all around a great craft book!  Most of the ideas are things I have seen elsewhere, but Sophia hasn't, and picking the craft is part of the fun for her.

Next up on the agenda: raiding the recycling bin so we can make a cardboard city!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...